Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 4

Day 4
Today has been a day filled with so many emotions. First we went to a school with about 150 kids. Some have parents & some are orphans. They were all amazing! More of the kids knew English at this location so e were able to communicate a little better. On this distribution I was assigned to play with the kids. There are 24 of us on this trip & all of us have a job. One person sizes the kids foot, the child then goes go get his feet washed by one of us. The washers works in pairs & their partner goes to get the shoes. The rest of us spend time talking & playing w/ the kids. I handed out dilly bands to everyone & they got really excited. When we give out gifts the word spreads fast so we are mobbed in a matter of minutes. I also handed out some stickers and the kids put them all over their arms & faces. I made a new friend at this school whose name is Melle. She was sitting on a bench and pulled me over to sit beside her. She didn't speak English but she loved being hugged and just wanted someone to sit with her. She kept touching my hair and moving my hand to her face. It was so cute. The kids also love it when you take their picture and show it to them on the camera. They think it's really funny so they all ask you to take their picture if they see your camera. Dome of the girls were wearing little fancy dresses & I took some pictures so I'll add them later. 
After this distribution we went to a Muslim school where all the kids were in uniform. On this distribution I was a runner which meant it was my job to go get the correct size shoe to give to the person washing their feet. I didn't get to play with the kids there much but we did get a few minutes after we were done to play & talk w/ the kids. 
So far this has been an amazing experience. We all seem to have bonded and how could you not in the middle of the desert in 116 heat! I did take some pictures of my room since everyone kept asking me if I would be sleeping in a tent. Currently I'm sitting at the little desk in my room watching 3 amazing zebras eating grass & playing right outside my balcony. Crazy right?
Of course no trip comes without crazy thing happening & this one is no different. I apparently caught a cold on the plane & was pretty much miserable yesterday but I am being a trooper & taking a lot of cold meds. & trying to get sleep. Last night there was a terrible thunder & lightening show in the middle of the night. It didn't rain but the thunder was so loud it woke everyone up. The lightening started a fire outside of our rooms but the hotels staff got it under control in a matter of minutes. And then today the bus we take had a little issue. The roads here are basically just dirt & we had to go over some railroad tracks. Well when we did the gas tank hit the track & created a hole. So they had to call other buses go come get us! It wouldn't be a tripmif something didn't happen right? We also have quite the tally of things people have lost & I'm sure there is more to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment