Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cookie Dough Egg Rolls

While I was in Africa I was lucky enough to purchase some handmade goods from some of the mothers of the children at one of the schools we visited.  They were so happy to make some money and we were so happy to buy their things. One of the things I bought was this awesome apron:


If you know me then you know I love to bake...but I'm pretty messy so an apron is something I actually need. I couldn't wait to try it out and lucky for me I had a couple of friends who had birthdays this week.  First up Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls.

Now I know this sounds crazy but they are delicious and pretty easy to make. The key is to make an awesome cookie dough that does not contain eggs. Once the cookie dough is made you just plop the dough in the egg roll wrapper, roll them up and freeze for a few hours. You don't have to freeze them but it actually holds everything together so I usually do it. Once they are frozen you heat up some oil and fry them (just pretend the oil is fat free and not adding a million calories.) I like to serve them with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
Here is the recipe I use:
1 stick of butter or margarine
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1/8 c water
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 1/8 c flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 pkg egg roll wrappers

Blend butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add water, vanilla, and salt. Add flour a little at a time. Blend completely. Add chocolate chips and mix until combined.
Add a small scoop of cookie dough to the egg roll. (I use a pampered chef cookie scoop and it was just the right amount.) If you aren't sure how to roll egg rolls you might want to google it. Once the egg rolls are rolled stick them in the freezer for about 3 hours. Once they are frozen heat some oil in a pan. I don't usually heat up enough to submerse the egg rolls, I just use enough to cover about 1/2 the egg roll and then turn them over after a minute or so.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and you'll be the hit of any party!

No comments:

Post a Comment