Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cookie Dough Cupcakes

So awhile back I went on a baking spree and finally made these Cookie Dough Cupcakes. I had originally found a recipe for them online but decided to just use boxed cake mix to make things easier on myself. You can make a homemade cake which I usually do but since there are so many other components to these it really doesn't matter because the cake really isn't the star.

First make the cookie dough:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/8 cup water
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 1/8 cups flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use mini)

Blend the butter and sugars in a mixer on low speed until fluffy. Add the water, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well blended. Add the flour a little at a time. Blend flour completely and then add chocolate chips. Mix just enough to combine. Shape the dough into little balls and freeze on a baking sheet. Honestly sometimes I just mix up the dough & just put it in a container and freeze it then just spoon out little bits when I get ready to make the cupcakes but doing the balls will make the dough spread more evenly in the cupcake. (I just get lazy! Ha!)

Mix the cake mix according to directions. Preheat oven to 350 F. Fill the cupcake lines about 2/3 full. I have a scoop from Pampered Chef that is perfect..I think it's the large one. Place the frozen cookie dough ball in the center of each cupcake. Don't worry if the cake batter doesn't cover it, it will during baking.

Bake cupcakes about 16-18 minutes.

Cookie Dough Frosting:
3 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until smooth. Beat in the salt, milk, and vanilla until smooth.

Honestly I prefer using cream cheese frosting because I feel like the cookie dough frosting is too sugary for me but other people love it so just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Either way sprinkle them with mini chocolate chips.

Be warned, if you make these and take them anywhere you will be harassed until you bring them back again. They are that good!

Also, for those that are wondering since the dough doesn't have eggs it is perfectly safe to not cook all the way and to leave sitting out. This is actually the same dough I use for the cookie dough egg rolls I posted a few posts back.

No comments:

Post a Comment